Monday 22 June 2015

"Writing for me is a burning passion flowing out like a lagoon" - THIBA

TIISETSO M. THIBA




QUESTION: Mr Thiba, how did it all start for you? When did you start thinking seriously about writing? Were you perhaps handicapped as a black youth?

THIBA:  Basically it all started way back, I think two decades ago. Is when I started felt in love with writing. But firstly I started re-writing and performing poems of other poets like MzwakheMbuli, KgafelawaMagogodi, Prof KerorapetseKgosietsile just to name a few in order to test my writing skills. The reason why I was so close to poetry is because I liked the way poet’s flow, rhyme words when they recite poems. For Mzwakhe, he was outspoken poet who was releasing videocassettes for his poems. And it was very  heartbroken to see how black people was living by then, duck and diving bullets for survival. And he was now and then goes to jail to speak out his mind regarding apartheid era. My first poetry work published in Free State News in 2009. I was so excited to see it on the paper.

 One would probably consider you primarily as a poet; but you have written short stories too (fiction); and also penned literaryessays. How comfortable are you with these literary genres?  

THIBA: Ha haha, actually I consider myself as writer now. Because I have noticed that I’m able to write poems, short stories and also literary essays. I have given myself a challenge to try other writing avenues and not be writing poems only. It’s a burning passion that I let it flow out slowly like a lagoon. And personally I’m comfortable now writing in various genres and I’m enjoying that a lot because I can express myself in a sundry way.

 It is exciting that your new book will soon be out; a book of poetry. What is the title of the book, and tell us what the whole book is about, and your favourite poems there? 

THIBA: That is a flawless truth. My poetry anthology book will be out soon. And quite frankly I’m eager to hold it in my hands and smell the fresh aroma of a new book. That will be my first book since I started writing poems. And I personally have to dedicated my sincerely gratitude to Mr Bolaji for genuinely encouraging me to publish this book. It was my plan to publish it but, still in a snail pace which will be out probably next year. But the good news is coming out soon. Many thanks to him all those who is behind my back through sunny or dark. Tittle of the book will be ‘Let’s take a walk Mama’. That is a poem that is close to my heart and talk about my family as whole. I will say all the poems in the book are my favourites because all of them are from within.

 The literary world often talks about FS literature, but it's really mixed, even international, isn't it? I mean Chief Bolaji is from Nigeria, Maxwell Kanemanyanaga is from Zimbabwe, LeboelaMotopi and Raphael Mokoena from Lesotho; Hector Kunene originally from KwaZuluNatal and Gauteng; and you yourself you are not really from Free State. What do you thinkabout all these varied influences on FS Black Writing?    

THIBA: That is really a truth; literary world is very mixed up and diverse. But if you can take a close glance to all the writers you have mentioned, their writing hit the prime standard in Free State. Meaning all of them they have stayed in in the Province and some still does despite their original roots. All of them they have taken the standard of FS Black Writing to the highest level and is not a astonishment for the Province to be rich with literature more than other provinces. Many deem that I’m from Free State Province but I’m not, though some of my family members dwell in various spheres of the province. But one thing for sure is originally ke Mosostho ‘I’m sotho’ and I can speak it fluently like a Lesotho born, ha haha.

What writers, and which books would you regard as your favourites? Whattype of literature do you prefers, African or Eurocentric? 

THIBA:  I personally like many writers, but will just give names of the writers because I have read more than two of their books and all of them are outstanding. 1 Maya Angelou, 2 Frederick Douglass both from America, 3Bessie Head 4  WameMolefhe both from Botswana, 5. MphoMatsepoNthunya from Lesotho 6. Chinua Achebe 7.  WoleSoyinka 8. Chief Bolaji from Nigeria 9. Sabata MphoMokae &GomolemoMokae, Hector Kunene, KgosietsileKeorapetse, Pule Lechesa, Lebo Mashile, TueloRampolokeng and Ishmael Soqaga all from South Africa. My list is very long I think I will have to stop here before the dawn catch us up while naming them, ha haha. I do prefer African Literature and not limited to it and I sometimes spiced up with Eurocentric one.

What are your immediate future plans with your own writing? Other books you have in the pipeline?

THIBA:  My future plans with my writing is to take it to a higher heights, but reading as much books as I can and write more books while I’m still gasping air. Currently I’m about to finish writing my Setswana novel which I plan to publish this year if things could go according to my ideals. And Setswana poetry book is also in the pipeline. Reason why I’m writing in Setswana, I want to restore my mother tongue as you can see many writers prefer to write in English nowadays saying that they are broadening their market. That is not a problem.It’s a good thing, but what about your language or African language? Is it better to let it die because of your large market? Take a look – I think well known writer Wole Soyinka writing in his language after many he wrote in English language. And former South African President NM Mandela once says ‘A person can express himself better in their language’ which Is a truth to me, because I dream in my language not English. And don’t get me wrong regarding English language, is global business language which makes us communicate with a brother or sister from Cameroon, Italy and France.

Thank you for your time Ntate TM “Father” Thiba in your writing and let’s read more from you.

THIBA:  It’s a pleasure my leader and it’s a pleasure. No doubt you will read more from me. Pula…

No comments:

Post a Comment